There can be few bands in the world of metal with a history as convoluted and confusing as VON. Formed around 1987, the group were arguably the first black metal act in North America and proved both revolutionary and uncompromising, illuminating some listeners while simultaneously alienating many more, their truly barbaric primitivism proving unpalatable to the majority of heavy metal fans at the time. But despite that fact - or indeed because of it - in the years that followed their three-letter, one syllable name would be spoken in the hushed tones of utmost respect. VON would take on an almost mythical status, not least because there was so much confusion about the people behind the band.
*excerpt taken from Black Metal: Evolution of The Cult by Dayal Patterson (Cult Never Dies)
As surely as heavy metal itself begins with Black Sabbath, U.S. black metal begins with VON - whatever the original impetus behind recording such a jarring racket, VON's dedication to dark imagery and unrefined sounds herald the arrival of the black metal ethos to the United States.
*excerpt taken from USBM: A Revolution of Identity in American Black Metal by Daniel Lake (Decibel Books)
VON is an American black metal band originally based out of San Francisco, California. They are thought to be the first American black metal band, to have strongly influenced the second wave of black metal. VON was formed in 1987 and disbanded in 1992 by founders VENIEN (Jason Ventura) and Goat (Shawn Calizo).
(7" VINYL EP TEST PRESSING)
VON founders VENIEN & Goat rejoined forces to record and perform as VON. 20 years after recording their first demo in 1989, the Satanic Blood EP was recorded and released to commemorate their reunion in London. Joined by bands Watain and The Devils Blood, this would serve as VON's first performance and recording since disbanding in 1992. 13 years have passed and the unreleased test pressings have surfaced. Together with brand new and exclusive art by VON co-founder VENIEN, 12"x12" Blood of Enlil giclee print, and a copy of the original 2010 Satanic Blood 7" Vinyl EP.
- Artist: VON
- Project: Satanic Blood
- Title: Satanic Blood (7" Vinyl EP Test Pressings) (Blood of Enlil exclusive test pressing cover by VENIEN)
- Audio Format: 7" Vinyl EP Test Pressing
- Packaging Format: 7" x 7" Vinyl Sleeve
- Edition/Qty: Ltd 3
- Publisher/Distributor: Von Records (USA)
- Manufacturer: Rainbo Records (USA)
- Release Date: July 31st 2023
- Illustration/Design: VENIEN
- Image/Paper Size: 192mm x 194mm
- Paper: Canson XL 98lb mix media paper
- Printer: Epson Surecolor P600 Printer w/Ultrachrome HD Ink
- Embossed artist chop: Sigil of vVurMzflessshhh by VENIEN (MillCast® Old Fashioned Cast Iron Press & Custom Brass Seal manufactured by the SealKing™)
- Signed print & custom-designed certificate of authenticity by VENIEN
- Cat/Sku#: VP LTD0002TEST
Bundle Bonus Items (VP BUNDLE0002):
- Blood of Enlil 12"x12" Giclee Print Illustrated by VENIEN (2023)
- Satanic Blood (7" Vinyl EP) (2010) (VR LTD0001)